Gardens for Health International
Gardens for Health is seeking a highly capable candidate with experience in web and graphic design to support our ongoing website redesign efforts as well as overall communications strategy. As we continue to grow in scale, reach and impact our organization will require increasingly robust stakeholder engagement for which this position will play a critical supporting role. The Design Intern need not possess prior work experience; however, the ideal candidate will either be actively pursuing studies in a related field or bring relevant knowledge to the role with a passion for continued learning and development.
Location: Boston, MA USA
Preferred Start Date and Duration: Flexible (February – June, 2017)
Hours: Part-time to full-time. Note: we are flexible with academic schedules for students who are actively enrolled in a program of study.
How to apply: Send your resume, cover letter and a short design sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “US Design Intern Application”.
Who We Are: Organizational Overview
Gardens for Health is a growing non-profit organization whose innovative approach is focused on improving childhood health outcomes by integrating agriculture into the clinical treatment of malnutrition. We currently partner with 18 Government Health Centers in Rwanda to provide families with the tools and resources to build a sustainable path out of malnutrition through targeted health and agriculture training. Our organization has scaled rapidly over the past four years. In 2012, we were a team of 18 people working in partnership with three health centers reaching just over 350 families annually. Today, we are a team of 125 reaching more than 2,100 families each year. With our growing impact, we have also been able to work more closely with the Rwandan government to inform policies and practices that integrate agriculture into the national healthcare system.
Our headquarters are based in Rwanda with an office in Boston, MA. Gardens for Health’s US office works closely with our team in Rwanda to support operations on the ground by raising the resources necessary to fund programs, expanding GHI’s global community, contributing to hiring processes and strategic planning, and providing logistical support. Because the US office is a small team dedicated to the success of Gardens for Health, we work collaboratively and expect that everyone will pitch in as needed on a variety of projects. Every member of our team, from Field Educators who deliver trainings to technical experts who inform program design to support staff in Rwanda and Boston who ensure operations runs smoothly work together toward a shared goal: to make growing and eating healthy food a part of the healthcare system in Rwanda and beyond.
Our Opportunity for You: Position Overview
Gardens for Health is a relatively small and growing organization, and the Design Intern will work closely with our senior leadership team. We are dedicated to our mission, and expect all team members to share that dedication. The Design Intern will report to the US Senior Development and Communications Associate in addition to working closely with other US-based staff and the Rwanda-based Communications and Development Fellow. The role will require flexibility, creativity, attention to detail, and an ability to prioritize among many tasks.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Oversee ongoing website redesign efforts
- Support Gardens for Health’s social media strategy
- Contribute to donor-stewardship activities and stakeholder correspondence
- Help identify new design-related opportunities and platforms
- Contribute graphic design elements to grant proposals, blog posts and newsletters
- Assist with the planning and execution of Gardens for Health fundraising events
Career Growth and Development
Gardens for Health places a high priority on staff development with our shared values of respect, collaboration, and understanding. Throughout your internship placement we can discuss future career goals, provide mentorship and skills training, and work collaboratively to build action plans. With our current level of growth, we foresee new positions becoming available in the future with the opportunity to advance within the organization.
The Design Intern must possess the following:
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud applications, including InDesign and Photoshop
- Strong back-end knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Hootsuite
- Ability to synthesize information into clear, concise communications
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Creativity and flexibility
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and meet competing deadlines
The Design Intern ideally possesses the following:
- Travel and/or work experience in East Africa
- Ability to speak Kinyarwanda and/or familiarity with Rwandan culture and customs
- Experience working in the non-profit sector